What are skills?
Skills are the most important attributes you’re looking for in your hire for any given role. Focusing on something definable helps cut out the noise around recruitment. If you’re testing for specific skills, you’re less distracted by writing style (unless that’s important for the role!) or other details that are not predictive of job performance.
Skills could be:
- Technical skills: specific coding languages, Search Engine Optimisation, project management, product design
- People skills: communication, persuasiveness, empathy, collaboration
We recommend you:
- Choose around 6 skills
- Have a mixture of technical and people skills
- Choose skills related to your organisation’s values as well as specific role requirements. (Why? To test for “value fit” rather than “culture fit”.)
- Be specific, unambiguous and to the point
How do I add skills?
When you’ve created a new role:
- Access the “Build” section.
- Click “Skills” in the left-hand side bar
- Either click on the suggested skills pulled from your job description...
- … or start typing in the box provided and click + to add different skills
As you continue to build your role, you’ll be asked to write sift questions based around your chosen skills.
If anything in this article piques your interest or isn’t clear, don’t hesitate to get in touch at email@example.com, where a member of our team will be on hand to give you support.